The Army Blotter: Lakin gets 6 mos., mom defends Stewart stab victim, Helo instructor dead in Rucker crash


  • An Army doctor who disobeyed orders to deploy to Afghanistan because he questioned President Barack Obama’s eligibility to be commander in chief was sentenced by a jury Thursday to six months in a military prison and dismissal from the Army. The military jury spent nearly five hours deliberating punishment for Lt. Col. Terrence Lakin on Thursday after three days of court martial proceedings at Fort Meade, outside Baltimore. [Associated Press/Yahoo!]
  • A slain Fort Stewart soldier was never violent, his mother said Thursday, disputing an assertion by the military that her son may have been the aggressor in a domestic fight that led to his death. Army Spc. Alante L. Whiting, 22, of Westland, Mich., was fatally stabbed on the Georgia Army post Dec. 8 just hours after he returned from a tour in Iraq. He died at Fort Stewart’s hospital. His mother said she spoke with her son, an Army intelligence analyst, by phone after his unit’s flight landed in Georgia. “He was ecstatic laughing, joking, being silly,” Alesia Whiting said. Within 18 hours he was dead. [via Associated Press/Army Times]
  • The Army has identified a helicopter instructor pilot killed in a crash at Fort Rucker as 38-year-old Jeremy Clark of Enterprise Ala. Clark, a native of Sonora, Calif., was killed in the crash of an OH-58D helicopter on Tuesday. The Army said Thursday a student pilot injured in the crash remains hospitalized in stable condition. [via Associated Press/San Jose Mercury News]
  • The mother of a 29-year-old soldier killed in a car crash at Fort McCoy has been anonymously placing flowers on the graves of veterans buried in her son’s row in a Wisconsin veterans cemetery. Said the mother of a soldier on an adjoining plot: “When I go out there, and there are plastic army men left, or a flower, or a cigarette, you just wonder: Who remembers? And you’re very touched someone takes the effort to come out and pay their respects.” [via Associated Press/News-Times]
  • The Army is investigating the death of a Special Forces Capt. Juan E. Lightfoot who died Sunday after an accident during unit pre-scuba training Dec. 8 on Fort Bragg. Lightfoot, 34, of Elmont, N.Y., died at Womack Army Medical Center four days after the accident. A former Marine, he commanded a Special Forces detachment in Company C of the 2nd Battalion of Fort Bragg’s 7th Special Forces Group. [via Fayetteville Observer]
  • A  Fort Benning military dependent ccused of having sexual relations with three underage girls is scheduled to stand trial next month on federal charges. A Georgia judge set a trial date of Jan. 18 for the case of Sedrick L. Young, 19. Young is accused of engaging in sex acts with a girl between 12 and 15 years old and having sex with two girls under the age of 16. He pleaded not guilty Thursday to all three counts. [via Ledger-Enquirer]

About Author

Leave A Reply